18/04/2024

THE WESLEYS DEBUT NEW LP VIA LITTLE VILLAGE RECORDS

 

NULL

WORDS BY ANSELM


Canada has produced its fair share of musical stars over the years, with Garage Pop act The Wesleys aiming to be the next. The quartet have recently released their self-titled debut album last week via Little Village Records.

The album builds on the success of their EP, titled "Outside Voices." It presents a novel blend of punk, garage, and power pop encapsulated in nine tracks brimming with introspection, delivered through playful melodies and guitar-centric rock. The band rely on their DIY pathos, much favoured by bands these days, The Wesleys aim to produce and write music that is " authentic and natural". Drawing inspiration from their musical heroes like  The Clean, Teenage Fanclub, The Pixies, and The Replacements.

To coincide with this release, eager listeners can grab a teaser with the release of a new animated video for 'A Lot to Lose", the last single taken off the album. As co-founder and guitarist, Henry Girard explains about the video's producer Phil Osborn"“We got familiar with Phil's work through the music video he created with the one and only Cindy Lee and Montreal's Night Lunch. We wanted to see Phil's interpretation of our music. We didn't give him much direction, preferring to tap into his creativity and let him chart his own course!”

Watch the video below: 


Girard further explains the reasoning behind the name The Wesleys "it's a sad story to be completely honest with you. I had a friend named Wesley who passed away really young when he was 20 years old. And he was the one who actually got me into music in the first place. I didn't come from a musical household or anything. Wesley got me into jamming for the first time, lent me a bass guitar, taught me some basic scales, and then I would go over to his place and he lived at this mansion. And at the time, there were I think like eight or nine people living there. It was in Killarney in Vancouver and the living room was just stacked up to the ceiling with amps. And we would jam there. It was like the best time I'd ever had in my life. And that's what my friend Wesley did for me; he introduced me to my life.”

The album marks a change in direction for the band from their previous release with a promise of a deeper reflection behind the songwriting. Band member Pablo Garcia opted to produce the album 'Live' 

The Wesleys were formed in 2017 by close friends guitarist and lead vocalist Henry Girard, fellow guitarist William D'Amours, bassist Quentin Chisholm and drummer Pablo Garcia. The album was recorded in 2023 by Pablo and Quentin at multiple homes across Montreal.


NULL




Order The Wesleys’ New Vinyl LP 


The Wesleys' self-titled debut album is now available on vinyl via Little Village Records and on all major streaming platforms


D I S C O V E R







No comments:

Post a Comment