05/04/2024

The Rockstar Interview: Blues Guitarist Dan Patlansky.


Null



South African Blues guitarist Dan Patlansky is set for a busy 2024. His new album “Movin’ On” is set for release on March 1st via Virgin Media Group, which was preceded by a single “Who I Am”. He has also announced an eight-date tour of England with some new venues added to the bill.

The Rockstar Reviewer grabbed an opportunity to speak with Blues guitarist Dan Patlansky about his latest single “Who I Am”, his upcoming release “Movin’On” and his UK tour in April. Dan provides more information about the tour and the new release. He also reveals the gear used to record the album, as well as his writing process. Please read below for the full interview.

Hello Dan, How are you?

Dan: I am doing great thanks for asking

Congratulations on your new Tour and Album. First, I would like to begin by asking about your tour. You have announced an eight-date tour of the UK, next April. What can you tell me about those dates?

Dan: Yes, I picked some of my favourite venues, cities, and towns to play on this tour. I’ve played most of these venues before and have always loved the vibe and energy at them. I feel These smaller, more intimate places work brilliantly for the blues.

You are performing at Wolverhampton and Brighton for the first time, how are you feeling about that?

Dan: I’m very excited about playing in new places. I’ve done a support show with Walter Trout in Brighton years back, but this will be my first headline show. Regarding Wolverhampton, this is exciting because I feel we have not done much in the Midlands in the past. I feel the tour has great coverage of the UK

What can attendees expect from a Dan Patlansky show?

Dan: A complete unfiltered and honest out-pouring of everything I have to offer musically. I treat each show as if it were my last. We’ll be playing most of the new record live plus a bunch of requested back catalogue songs.

Do you have any special guests lined up?

Dan: Yes, we do, and we’ll announce that shortly.

I shall now turn my attention to your new release. It is called “Movin’ On” and is due out on March 1st. What can you tell me about the album?

Dan: So ‘Movin’ on’ is without a doubt the most honest album Ive ever recorded. Almost zero editing and post-production. I wanted the album to be the closest reflection of what we sound like live. In a sense the theme is fully going back to what I love the most musically, from the songs to the production.

You released your first single last Friday, entitled “Who I Am”, What can you tell me about the track? and how does it fit in with the album?

Dan: ‘Who I am’ really speaks to the theme of the record. Making music that makes me tick. The song covers the guitar-playing side of me as well as the songwriter and singer side, which has been the goal for the whole album.

What is the reasoning behind the title “Movin’ On”?

Dan: This was one of the first songs we wrote, and it inspired the rest of the album. Movin On is about pushing forward regardless of the past. I’ve been through a lot of changes over the past few years and thought this song says it all about my future journey.


Andy Martiz and Greg Van Kerkhof help assist you in writing the album. What can you tell me about what they brought to the songwriting process?

Dan: They are exceptional writers! When one finds a team like this it’s really special. They understood the direction I wanted to go in, and it felt instantly natural. They brought thoughts and ideas to the table that I would never have thought of. They also come from very different backgrounds musically, which always creates a melting pot.

You co-produced this album with Andy Martiz. Could you tell me about the reasons behind this decision, and how it played a role in the production?

Dan: I’ve been working and touring with Andy for over 10 years, and he has become a great producer over that time. Because of our history, he understood what I was going for on this record, and I’m thrilled with the outcome. It is always great to have another set of ears making decisions.


The first track on the album is about one of your idols, Stevie Ray Vaughan. What can you tell me about that, and do you feel a lot of your guitar play is influenced by your idols?

Dan: I’m massively influenced by them! SRV in particular. SRV had and still has the biggest impact on my playing. So I thought it was about time I paid my respect and gratitude to him by writing a tribute song that honours and thanks him. He changed my life all those years back and kept me inspired.


Lastly, I would like to ask you about what gear and effects do you use for the album.?

Dan:

I kept it very much like my live rig.
Guitar- my blue 63’ custom shop strat with Kingtone Blue Bird Pickups
Amp- Honeybee 40-watt head through 2x EVM 12L speakers
Effects- Kingtone Fuzz, Mathis Audio Tech OF Texas Tone, Honeybee Clean Drive, Kingtone Duellist, Strymon Flint.
DR Strings 12-54
Axe Custom Cables

“Movin’ On” will be released via all major platforms and retail outlets on March 1st.

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us» where «following us» is a link to https://follow.it/the-rockstar-reviewer-1?leanpub.

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wwyX_dJ3qY[/embedyt]

Social Media Links:

https://danpatlansky.com/

https://www.facebook.com/danpatlanskymusic/

https://twitter.com/danpatlansky

https://www.instagram.com/danpatlansky/

No comments:

Post a Comment