10/09/2021

HANNAH SCHZDE MUSIC INTERVIEW: " I wanted to move people through sound and lyrics just like all of my favourite music artists are able to do!"


The Rambling man got the opportunity to speak with Mexican singer/songwriter Hannah Schzde about her latest single "Shine", Musical influences, and the singer's Instagram blog about gardening. You can read the full interview below;


Hello, How are you? Could you introduce yourself to new listeners? 

Hi, I’m doing well and I’m very excited to be doing this interview with Rambling Man! My name is Hannah Schzde, pronounced “Sheez-dae”, and I’m a bilingual songwriter and violinist born and raised in Mexico City and now based in Boston, MA.

 How would you describe your sound

My music sounds like an ideal road trip playlist: it has a little bit of every genre, from acoustic sounds and emotional string arrangements to electrifying, danceable beats with an indie feel. 

What inspired you to get into music?

Music has always been an important part of my life, not only as a performer but also as a listener. I have always known I wanted to move people through sound and lyrics just like all of my favourite music artists are able to do! 

What are your influences on your career?

My influences are as eclectic as my music! I find inspiration in the music of Selena, Lady Gaga, Arianna Grande and bands like My Chemical Romance, The Punch Brothers, Electric Light Orchestra and Snarky Puppy. Violinists Regina Carter and Emilie Autumn and soundtrack composers such as Koji Kondo and Danny Elfman are also a big influence in my music, among many other artists!

 You have released a new music video for “Shine”, Could you explain the making behind it, and the message you hope to tell with the track

Of course! The music video for “Shine” was filmed in Tampa, Florida earlier this year. My husband was the videographer and I did all the editing. I wanted to portray my most natural self in this music video with no makeup, messy hair and all! After all, “Shine” is a song about self-love and setting free from beauty standards, so I thought this was the best way to reflect the meaning of the song. 

Dancing and moving in whichever way felt natural to me really. It set me free when filming this music video and I just hope to inspire everyone to find freedom in being their true selves as well! 

There is a unique combination between Ukulele and Violin. What impact do you feel the instruments have on the song, and would you say you were somewhat of a Multi-Instrumentalist?

 I love mixing instruments in unconventional ways and I am really glad that this song provided the opportunity to do that. Even though the violin is my main instrument, I also play ukulele, mandolin and piano, so I guess I can be considered somewhat of a multi-instrumentalist.
 
The ukulele in the music video is actually the same one I used in the recording. I bought this ukulele from a friend a few weeks before the lockdown last year and it was the best decision I could have made! After recording a few YouTube ukulele covers,  I eventually wrote the ukulele loop for “Shine” without knowing it would be one of the main focus points of the song and the music video.

 I understand you moved to America to pursue a Music degree. What was it like for you to come to a new country to study the subject, and how has that shaped you as a person and performer? 

Moving to the United States has been the greatest adventure of my life. When I first moved here my main goal was to graduate from college because, after experiencing many setbacks in my home country, I knew that once I had my degree no one could take it away from me and it feels really good to have accomplished that important milestone. Since graduating college, I’ve also had the privilege to record and perform with many different local music artists, orchestras and ensembles, as well as with poets, dancers and musical theatre productions. I also found a place in the indie music scene of Boston and was able to travel to many different cities in the U.S. to perform in all kinds of venues. At this point in my music career, I’ve grown in a way that I never even imagined and I can’t wait to see what the following years bring. 

You have an eclectic taste in Latin, Western Music, jazz and pop. Are these styles you always wanted to implement in your music? 

I’ve always enjoyed listening to all kinds of music and I can’t limit myself to just one genre, not only as a music consumer but also as a musician myself. I find satisfaction in discovering how different music genres can interconnect and I like expressing my own intersectionality through that fusion of styles. 

You have performed as a violinist at some prestigious venues in Boston, such as The Sinclair and Oberon to name but a few. Is there a difference between performing to a crowd as a violinist, as to perform to a crowd singing? 

I think that, in comparison to the violin, singing involves a lot more vulnerability because it uses an instrument that is not an outside object but an intimate and unique mechanism inside our body. For the longest time, I was shy to hear my voice amplified through a microphone, but as time goes by I’m finding myself more and more comfortable singing to others and I’m very excited to unlock my vocal abilities even further! 

You have an Instagram blog based on your hobby of caring for plants. Could you tell me more about that, and in a world where mental health is always under the spotlight, How important do you feel this is to you and your music? 

“Tierra Everyday”, previously called “Create Life Not Trash”, is my own urban gardening journal where I share updates on my summer garden and the veggies and herbs I grow and harvest. I like to call it “urban gardening” because my garden is pretty much a patch of dirt on the side of the street.
however, that’s what I love about it the most! 

Plants have taught me that growth is possible under any circumstance, especially if there is patience, love and care. I think gardening can be very therapeutic because it is 100% hands-on and I really believe that dedicating time to something out of love rather than responsibility is freeing in itself. On the other hand, gardening can also teach us a lot about persistence and dedication because outdoor plants need to be watered every day and taken care of constantly. It can also be a lot of work sometimes but the results are always worth it! When working on music, gardening allows me to step out of the studio to breathe fresh air and admire the magic of nature which, at the same time, has always been a great inspiration in my lyrics as it can be heard on my latest single “Shine”. 

Live venues are back…Can we expect Hannah Schzde to perform at more venues with your new music any time soon? 

I don’t have any solo shows planned at the moment but there will definitely be more opportunities to see me perform live next year! 

And finally, what is next for Hannah Schzde?

I’m currently working on my next single! I am planning on releasing it at the end of September and there will also be a music video for it, so stay posted in all my socials @hannah.schzde!

Interview conducted by Anselm Anderson.

If you enjoyed this interview, click below to read the review of "Shine" below;


You can also follow the blog here to receive daily updates of music news, reviews and interviews from the world of rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment